It may be hard to believe, but Amazon DSP advertising isn’t just for Amazon-owned channels. Think about the powerhouse that Amazon is in general, and then think about the data behind their channels. That audience data represents behaviors and desires across all channels—and you can use that to create targeted campaigns for any advertising channel. What makes Amazon DSP advertising so vital to your advertising strategy is that it helps you optimize your targeting strategies across the web. That’s a powerful tool. We’re going to share exactly how Amazon DSP works and how you can get started using Amazon’s rich data-resources today.
What Is Amazon DSP?
What Is Amazon DSP?
- More important that what Amazon DSP is, well—everything else:
- How it’s used for targeting your ideal customers
- What kinds of ads work with this demand side platform
- How to use Amazon DSP ads versus sponsored display ads
- When and why to use this advertising option
- And definitely how to incorporate Amazon DSP into your overall advertising strategy.
How Does Amazon DSP Work for
Amazon uses its audience-identifying algorithm to target and retarget customers who may be interested in your product. For example, when someone looks up your product, the algorithm will remember the customer’s purchasing behavior and show them ads for your product. But that’s just one way Amazon DSP can target your audience. In total, there are six unique targeting options you can use to reach customers:
- Contextual: Your audience will be segmented based on what they are currently searching for.
- Lifestyle: If your audience demonstrated search or purchase behaviors that reflect a certain lifestyle, they will see your ads.
- Re-marketing: To re-engage shoppers, your ads will appear if customers have searched for, viewed, and/or purchased your products or products that are similar to yours.
- Advertiser Audiences: Amazon will use your brand’s data to pull certain information, like email lists or webpages with tracking pixels, to target your audience.
- Audience Lookalike: If a person has similar shopping behaviors as your current or previous customers, they will see your ads.
What Kind of Ads Work with Amazon DSP?
Amazon offers an entire toolkit of advertising platforms so you can better connect with your audience. Amazon DSP ads fall into three different categories: display, video, and audio.
Amazon Display Ads
Display ads are banner ads you see on websites, social media, and other digital media. These ads encourage users to click and navigate to a landing or product page where they can learn more about your product.
Most often, customers will see these ads on the side margins of a web page or in their search engine. If the customer links their account across different devices, they can see your ads on all their devices.
Amazon Video Ads
Most Amazon video ads are short, branded videos that give customers a glimpse at what your product has to offer.Request A Free Analysis
Why Use Amazon DSP?
Amazon DSP lets your business run better-organized advertising campaigns across more channels for less effort. With its streamlined management of Amazon advertising, you won’t have to worry about falling into any pitfalls that lead to not-so-profitable advertising strategies.Request A Free Analysis
Where Is Amazon DSP Available?
You can use Amazon DSP if you operate out of any of the following countries:
United States of America
United Arab Emirates
Who Qualifies for Amazon DSP
- A lower barrier to entry. Buy Box Experts offers to operate DSP for a minimum of $10,000, provided that you have enough data points to build your audience. Or, if you’re just interested in display ads, that only costs you $5,000.
- Specificity in your targeting. You can customize exactly who you want to reach with your advertising.
- No minimum for line items. Otherwise, Amazon charges you $10,000 per line item.
- Clear communication when designing campaigns. Our customer-obsessed team will put in the time and effort required to build out campaigns that will drive your brand’s growth.
- Inclusion of customer reviews. Showing your 5-star rating in a DSP ad can help its performance. However, you need at least 15 reviews with a 3.5-star rating or higher for this to be effective.
When Should You Use Amazon DSP?
Amazon DSP is great for any company that wants to expand its reach and take advantage of Amazon’s audience. Of course, that encompasses the goals of a lot of companies—who wouldn’t want access to Amazon’s data?
To better illustrate the utility of Amazon DSP, consider the following examples:
New Amazon Sellers
When you first open your Amazon shop, you’re putting yourself up against fierce competition. And you need to find a way to outshine veteran vendors and name-brand products quickly if you want to stay in business. That’s where an aggressive advertising strategy with DSP can help.
After you’ve established a modest base of customers and have a few positive reviews in tow, you can use Amazon DSP to further raise brand awareness. Potential customers will start to notice you both on and off of Amazon with display ads and sponsored product placements. And as you raise awareness, you’ll see your sales increase too.
New Products for Established Sellers
Visibility campaigns are just as crucial for new products as they are for new companies. Just because you’re an established vendor does not mean everyone will flock to you when you put out a new product. Amazon DSP advertising can help you promote your new products to your current customers and people who haven’t even heard of you yet.Request A Free Analysis
Get Started with Amazon DSP
So, if you want more control of your advertising dollars to target your audiences while spending less overall, Buy Box Experts is the clear path to victory.
Sign up for a free analysis to learn how you can maximize your Amazon advertising DSP opportunities.
Will Amazon DSP Help Lower My ACoS?
Your ACoS will probably decrease significantly when you utilize Amazon DSP. However, you also shouldn’t focus too much on lowering your ACoS—oftentimes, it will cause more harm than good.
For more on ACoS, read our article,
We heard some great questions about Amazon DSP’s effectiveness in attracting customers during our DSP Webinar. To help summarize, we’ve included those questions and our responses in these FAQs.
Ultimately success is measured by the aligned strategies of the brand and the DSP ad team. An increase in Sessions and Total Account Sales are cornerstones of a successful DSP strategy.
The most successful marketing executions have full alignment between Sponsored Ad Strategy and DSP Strategy to fully engage the Amazon flywheel.
While Sponsored Display ads are critical for product detail page protection, and can be used to reach new prospective shoppers in a category, the DSP platform is much more sophisticated and provides significantly more opportunities to optimize to the highest level of performance. Sponsored Display ads are recommended to be used for brands that want to test out mid to upper funnel executions if a brand is not ready to commit to DSP.
Yes. There are ways to integrate those learnings into Amazon DSP to increase efficiency. Hashed audiences can be provided from off-Amazon marketing, and can be used to create Amazon audiences as well as Lookalike Amazon audiences.
While a mature optimized state is attained after the 4-6 week initial period, the positive results from running DSP can be seen during that ramp-up period in regards to New to Brand Purchases, Branded Searches and Return on Ad Spend. The influence on organic search impressions indexed is a long-term benefit of DSP and can take much longer, somewhere in the 3-6 month timeframe.